Saturday, February 11, 2012

The Ivy Times

So, what is going on with my big girl? I present to you...
The Ivy Times

Ivy is doing great! To be honest, we have had a stretch of some awesome days at home. My girl has been pleasant, helpful, and sweet. Now does she bother her sister from time to time, most definitely! Does she still make quick witted comments that make me think she is 12- for sure! But overall, we are soaking in these sweet memories with our big 4 year old!

Ivy expressed interest in gymnastics over the summer. We took a break from activity this fall with the switch to 5 day a week preschool but in January we started a gymnastics class through the Y. I have been impressed at what you get for the price- it is eight 30 minute classes with 5 kids and 3 teachers. The have a little beam, little bars, and a little wedge mat for these little ladies to flip around on. Then they have a big blue mat for series of forward rolls and lines of "cart wheels." Lots of one on one time is given.... but the verdict! Ivy doesn't love it!

She is very kind to her teachers and she will try something the first time and then the request to try it again usually results in shaking her head "no" while giving them a "Sorry! No thanks!" smile :) They can usually coax her to try again, but overall she can probably walk away from gymnastics for now and not think much about it. She has asked a lot about why they aren't doing the ballet moves she learned at dance and why she can't wear her ballet shoes- and finally, she understands it isn't dance class! So last night, she asked about when she can go back to Miss Mindy's for dance :) So that is probably the plan for this fall!

At this age, my goal is to expose her to some different activities in the hopes that she will find something she really enjoys! We have pushed for soccer several times (for Daddy's heart) but Ivy continues to favor the girly sports- are you surprised? So for now, it looks like we may have a ballerina in the making!

Other snapshots of my sweet Ivy Girl!


"Are big lips fancy?"
"I don't know, Ivy. I guess so....."
(Not really paying attention to the conversation- obviously.)
"I think these look pretty with my dress. Do you?"
Wow! I caught a glimpse and lost it! So now, the potato head lips are a dress up accessory! Hopefully that doesn't mean lip injections are in Ivy's future :) I will have to convince her that natural is better!


Right now, Ivy aspires to be a hair dresser when she grows up!
And you know, Mommy is the best to practice on :) Even if I do only have 2 inches of hair!
Thankful that Ivy's new fear of lice (Thanks to Mama and Nana) and bribery to play with my hair at home has kept Ivy's little fingers out of the hair of her playmates at school- yes, we had an issue with this a couple of weeks ago!


The new 4 year old way of playing in her kitchen seems to play "restaurant"-
She takes orders and writes them down on a chalk board (Mommy spelling EVERY word) she doesn't go for "sound it out!" (I apologize to her future teachers!)
Then she makes everything and sets it out, always including a birthday cake and song for a special birthday girl :)

And that is all for
The Ivy Times!

****By the way****
I am convinced that Ivy has a "time of the month." I am really curious to if these hormonal changes start so young.... we usually have 3 wonderful weeks followed by a week from you know where! I can totally relate to this but geez, I didn't expect it from my 4 year old!

Any other Mama's of little ladies feel like they experience this same thing or am I crazy???